Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Prompt 1 (Auntie Lisa's Beloveds Wiki)

Task: Read the following prompt and answer to the best of your ability! Choose a symbol used in a novel or play of your choice and discuss its function in the world of the work. Be sure to give the title of the work and its author in the Introduction paragraph. You should strive for 4 - 5 paragraphs. Good Luck! After posting, read and comment on 4 other postings. Your comments should be helpful to the writer and may be things you noticed, something for them to think about, and some words of encouragement. You must complete your essay and your comments by Tuesday, January 12th!

Even the smallest object that seems insignificant to the average reader can be the most important symbol in the world of a novel.  A symbol isn't always the most noticeable thing of a novel; it would take away from its meaning.  The real symbols that have a high level of significance in a novel are the ones that don't immediately catch your eye.  This is the case in The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan.  Although this novel is one that has multiple narrators with different story lines, there are key symbols that reveal the importance of each main character.


Jing-Mei's character in the novel finds life's importance reflected in the form of her mother's pendant.  Suyuan (Jing-Mei's mother) gave the pendant to her before she knew that she would die.  Throughout the course of the novel, this symbol went through many different changes, all having some sort of meaning to Jing-Mei, whether it was positive or negative.  It started off being an object that was not stylish to her.  It also went deeper with Jing-Mei seeing it as the cultural differences between herself and her mother.  Jing-Mei never thought of herself as being more American than Chinese, and that her mother was fighting a lost cause.  She knew that she wouldn't be able to embrace her Chinese heritage, but Suyuan kept trying.


When Suyuan died, the pendant became an entirely new symbol completely.  Her "life's importance" became a symbol of her mother's love and concern for her.  Unfortunately, Jing-Mei only realized the significance of her mother's teachings after it was too late to learn everything from her, which seems to be the case in a lot of situations.  Her pendant also became an additional symbol in a larger scale.  It became a symbol of the human power to give new meaning to what is happening around them.  The fact that Jing-Mei was able to change the meaning of the pendant showed her ability to change the meaning of other objects as well.  In the end, this would a good thing to have because she could change the meaning of her mother dying to something that will empower her.


Any tangible object or abstract thought can serve as a symbol in the novel world.  Suyuan's pendant showed that a small object can become the embodiment of an important worldly theme.  Tan shows  her symbols in a subtle way that can lead to various interpretations, allowing her readers to have a stronger understanding of her work as a whole.

11 comments:

  1. Leelynn!
    I love Joy Luck Club! :) I liked your choice of symbolism...I didn't even really think of that one! I guess that goes to show that what you said about symbolism in the introduction is true! I also liked how you used the pendant to follow the progress of Suyuan's life and her relationship with her mother.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leelynn!
    First off, I wanna say I loved you intro. haha. It was thought-provoking and really grabbed my attention and made me want to read on because I was like "what symbol is she going to talk about?" and "what book is it?"

    I read Joy Luck Club for english two years ago and I didn't think of the pendant as a symbol. To me it was just an object in the book. But your essay helped shed new light and made me think deeper. Really good job! :)
    Konni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leelynn!
    So two quick things, first, I love it how your blog is "ninja blog," and second I love it how you wrote on your favorite book- joy luck club. Anyway, your essay, I thought it was well structured and very clear. You did a good job going from one item that was being symbolized to the next. My only problem with it was there were a few grammatical/spelling mistakes (i.e. "The real symbols that have a high level of significance in a novel are the ones that don't immediate catch your eye.") so just a suggestion, type your essay into Word and then copy and paste it into the post a blog section so that there aren't any accidental mistakes like that- I hope I don't sound nitpicky! So besides that it was really good.

    -Camille

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leelynn,

    Woo-hoo! I love The Joy Luck Club. That book is filled with tons symbolism so I am sure it was hard to not make this blog like 93048390 pages. hahah but wow, you did a great job explaining the pendant symbol. I also loved you first paragraph. I wish I had included something like that in mine. What I liked about your essay was that it was so well written that even if someone hadn't read The Joy Luck Club, they still could appreciate your essay! :)
    Great job Leelyn!
    -Dani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Camille: oh gosh i didn't even realize that. I try to check it before I post but i guess I missed that one. Thanks for that! I'll fix it!

    Amy, Konni, Miley and Danielle: Thanks for taking the time to read my essay! I appreciate everything that you had to say about it! It really boosted up my confidence on my writing :) Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this book! SO good choice! You have great examples and insight. I really liked how you used a actual object rather than the character themselves. It shows how you can see the deeper meaning to those little details that the author puts in the book. Loved it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kylie: Thanks so much for your positive feedback :) And thanks for reading my essay :) I'm glad it didn't bore you xD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Leelynn!!! =)
    I really liked your blog-the way you worded everything, the way you told what your novel was about, and the way you explained the symbol that you chose and how you connected it to the characters and to the different events that happened in your novel. I also loved your blog as a whole!!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved the Joy Luck Club from sophomore year, my cousin calls it the Hard Luck Club because of all the tough times that all of the families had to endure. I thougth it was great that you used a smaller symbol, specific to one mother-daughter pair than a broad one that connects all the families - you see so much of that in the book already. Very well organized and insightful ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good job! I really enjoyed reading your essay. Thank you for taking the time to read mine with the positive feedback. :) I also like how you are so on top of it with this wiki stuff. You just are like fire on here.

    Getting to your essay. I really like the fact that in your first paragraph you explained your views of symbolism to the world. This left me anxious to read the rest of your essay. Great start means interested reader!

    Also your transitions were very smooth I totally understood who you were talking about at all times, and you made it clear that the pendant was the symbol and that it was changing throughout the course of the book.

    I have not read the Joy Luck Club, but by reading this I want too. Great job again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leelynn, This is a great symbol to choose since most people wouldn't choose it. The intro is good, but on the long side. I thought that you were going to discuss different symbols for different characters and I thought, "Oh no!," but you didn't you stuck to the 1 symbol! Maybe in the intro go on to say that each character has a symbol, etc, but you will be focusing on this particular one. And then go on with it! You are a great writer. I felt that you had a good handle on this symbol. Just push a little more!

    ReplyDelete