Friday, January 8, 2010

And Still We Rise - Assignment 2

Period 4 Assignment #2: After reading this book review, what do you think your experience reading this book is going to be like? Do you tend to look at book reviews before you purchase a book? Do you use book reviews to influence your book purchases? Are you more apt to listen to a friend who recommends a book to you? Your response should be at least 250 words.


The main purpose of a book review is to show someone's opinion on a book and recommend that book to other potential readers.   Usually this strategy is able to help a book get more readers, especially if the book reviewer is as famous as someone like Oprah Winfrey.  But not everyone reads book reviews and choose books based on what they feel is interesting, regardless of what others think.  I am one of those people, and I wouldn't have read this book review normally.  But after actually reading it, I am grateful that I get to see the benefits of book reviews.


From what Mark Welch talked about throughout his review, And Still We Rise was a book unlike any other.  There have been other books that were written about the injustice about the education system in different places.  To Welch, they all had the tone of being artificial and unrealistic.  It is well known that the system isn't as great as it could be, but it doesn't require authors to give the false impression that it could be fixed so easily.  And Still We Rise was a totally different story altogether, and it was obvious.  I enjoy reading books that don't follow the norm, so this aspect that Welch touched upon intrigued me from the beginning.


I am not the type of person to use book reviews to influence my book purchases or borrowings.  To me, if I read the synopsis of a book and it catches my attention, I will get it.  Anybody can say that a book is good, but everyone has their own opinions on what they like.  So I didn't think I would find myself reading a book review on And Still We Rise, but here I am.  This book review was unlike any other that I have briefly read before.  Welch appealed to me through his opinion on the book's uniqueness and its reason for being written.  I understand that the system isn't at its best, and yet I am tired of people just complaining about it.  I feel like if people really feel like it should be improved, then take the actions to make a difference, no matter how hard it seems or how long it takes.  Welch points out that Miles Corwin wants people to realize that no matter how gifted children can be, they still need the assistance that they deserve and need in order to succeed.  In a way, they are both calling America to action to get these and other children the resources and help they need in order to get higher in life.  By just reading the review alone, I felt inspired to make changes in the system in any way I can and get others to change the system so that every child can have an equal chance at success.  I think that with my passion to make a difference and the inspiration I felt from this review, I will definitely enjoy this book in its entirety.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree with what you said about book reviews! I never really use them to influence what books I buy because I know what books catch my attention and I generally dont pay attention to book reviews, but I really liked Welch's. It was interesting and told about everything the book had to offer and why it was unique so it really just made you want to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leelynn,

    Like you, Welch appealed to me by writing about why the book was written. It was unique from the other "teenage hardship" stories, which he pointed out and it grabbed my attention.

    I think that it's good that you feel inspired to make a difference. And I know you can because I know you have that passion to help others out and I encourage you to follow whatever dreams you have :].

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leelynn!
    I am with you on what you said about not usually liking book reviews but being inspired by this one! I also like what you said at the end about calling America to action.
    You could also briefly mention whether or not you would listen more to reccommendations given by a friend. :) But I really liked your response!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just like you, Leelynn; I don't usually read book reviews to choose a book to buy...most of the time I just read the synopsis of it and, if I need to know more before spending my money, I read the first couple of pages. If I like it, I get it.

    But like you, I did find that this Welch guy's review was actually really informative and really good; I agreed with a lot of what he wrote. And I totally agree with you on the points you made about improving the education system in America.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so awesome Leelynn! You just go for it and you were inspired! I think that's going to inspire other people to do something. I think a book has the potential to affect change, let's see if ASWR does!

    ReplyDelete